FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
All of our apps have a “tree structure” usually made of a list of CATEGORIES, each category containing a list of CONTENTS. Categories will be given a name (such as “restaurants”, “museums”, …anything! ) and an icon and they can contain three different types of content:
- Places: Show a location on the map
- Events: Add a start date and an end date for events.
- Stories: Are not displayed on the map.
Each content may include text, maps, events, images, audio and video.
The first step to create a guide is to enter the Platform Once entered, you can begin to creating your own categories, located on the left column. The categories will be the first visible content to your users. You can find small examples and templates, but you can also delete it and start working on your own categories. The icon will be added at a later point. Once finished with your categories, select the first and start adding content by clicking the “Add” button. To upload and manage your media, click the “My Media” button. It’s located on the top right. To create the look for you application, click the button “Apps” – It’s located in the top middle. You can then also enter a title of your choice and a description for your applications users. The last step is to test your application, when you feel like it’s ready you can publish it.
Yes, smaller categories can be placed inside the broader, starting categories which there they can be grouped together. These smaller categories often serve to enhance the user experience. For example, you can have a category called “Food” and then add inside it subcategories such as “Italian food”, “Mongolian food”, “Sushi restaurants”. Although the interface of Map2App at this time doesn’t allow you to create macro-categories, our team can create them for you. To make this possible, we would need a pyramidal structure of how you’d like to have it organized.
Yes, you can create it in many languages. This is one of the characteristics of Map2App. We recommend that you create your application in English initially. After you’ve done that you can start adding languages by clicking the button on the left, “Add Language”. Then select which language you want to add, which fields you want to copy from the existing language (e.g. phone number) and which fields you want to translate automatically. We recommend “Google Translate”, they are generally quite reliable but we strongly advise you to the check the translations before publishing your application. Important: If your first language is not English, you should set it as default language as a first step.
Yes you can, just create a new category and in the “New Category Box”, select the RSS button and then add the link to your RSS feed. Then click on “Save” and wait a few seconds. The RSS will not appear as a category of items. You cannot modify it as you do with the other stuff. This is because it is a third-party program and will be displayed with an icon of its own.
Yes, you can test your app on all supported platforms. Click on the “App” button in the upper right field to fill in the information, select the colors and the give the application the look you want and then click on the “Test” button. At this point you can choose the platform you wish to test the application on. It will take a few minutes to build your app – or sometimes half an hour if you got a very large application. We will send you an e-mail with instructions that you can follow once your application is ready. To test the app is simple; you don’t need to be a programmer to do it. Here we explain how to do it on different platforms:
- Android: You will receive an e-mail with a link to install the app. Open the mail directly from your smartphone and click on the link “Install” which will appear. Important: Testing the application before publishing it is often a real life-saving thing to do. It’s better to test the application and have it fully operational and functional before publishing it on the Internet. Bear in mind that the test application will expire after 7 days.
- IPhone: This procedure is more complicated than the previous one, but is still very simple. Unfortunately Apple does not allow you to install an application that doesn’t come from the App Store. For this reason you’ll need to download a special application from the App Store called “AppViewer”. This application will allow you to view your application. When your application is ready for test you will receive an e-mail with your code. Enter the code in “AppViewer” and you’re done.
- HTML5: Clicking on this section you will receive an e-mail containing a link that sends you to a demo version of your web application.
Yes you can send Push Notifications to your users. In order to do so you must have a published app distributed through the Stores. Access to your map2app account and go to the “APP” panel. Then click the “PROMOTION” tab and access the Push Notification editor. Just type in your message and hit the SEND button.
Yes, on both questions. We have devised a “Reseller program” for this purpose. Become a Reseller of applications produced with Map2App allows you to earn an amount based on published applications and you’ll be able to take advantage of special discounts.
We use OpenID, one of the most secure authentication systems in the world. It provides users with security and speed in authentications of a website. The biggest advantage is that you do not need to remember your password or username to access Map2App.
Yes, of course. We develop and maintain three native applications, flexible and adaptable, one for each platform. Our applications are real, have not been HTML5 wrapped or made with shortcuts. This ensures the best performance and speed and therefore providing an excellent user experience.
The platform allows you to upload images in PNG and JPG. The sizes of the images put in the categories and such does not require special sizes, but we recommend using large images since the platform will adapt them on its own. Another thing about the images you are going to see like the “Splash Screen”, “Banner” and “Icon”, is that they cannot be too small. Below are measurements of what the limits and boundaries of the images. Minimum sizes for images: Splash Screen: Width: ≥ 960px, Height: ≥ 1280px. Banner: Width: ≥ 1280px, Height: ≥ 768px. Icon: Width: ≥ 1024px, Height: ≥ 1024px. We also suggest that you do not use images from the procedure unless specified by us, such as load an image directly into an article, to make sure all the images are visible to users of your application even off-line.
Just because we love to travel and love the maps it doesn’t mean you only can create guides. Map2App is a very flexible tool that allows you to create different types of applications with the full support of audio, video and images. For example, you can create a catalog, a calendar of events, a list full of contents or a guitar course. As you can see you can play around to create any type of application. Contact us and we’ll be happy to help you create the perfect application for you. How long time will it take before my application is available in the Store? We may publish your application in three different stores, but for each of those the time before it will be accepted can vary. • App Store: 7 – 15 days. • Google Play: 2 days. • HTML5: 24 hours.
The reason why you do not see any images is because you uploaded smaller pictures than required, below are the minimum requirements for images: Splash Screen: Width: ≥ 960px, Height: ≥ 1280px. Banner: Width: ≥ 1280px, Height: ≥ 768px. Icon: Width: ≥ 1024px, Height: ≥ 1024px.
Package A Tantum provides for the payment of the application in a single solution that you can calculate yourself by manually entering the number of content you want to include in your application, the number of languages and which platform you’d like to have your application distributed to.
- The Little App package includes a monthly fee of €97 for a period of one year. It contains of a maximum of 150 items, two languages and the distribution on all available platforms.
- The fee includes free updates and a fixed price of €25 for republication. At the end of the year you can choose, based on your needs, if you continue with your monthly subscription or switch to the Tantum package. Your application will be automatically connected with Analytic to be able to monitor the progress.
- The Big App Show package includes a monthly fee of €197 for a period of one year. It consists of a maximum of 1000 items, seven languages and distribution on all available platforms. The fee includes updates and republishing. Your application will be connected with Analytic.
Once published, an application can be updated or republished at any time. It is possible to modify an application in two ways: 1) UPDATE
- – The addition/modification/deletion of content. The availability of an update is announced to the users through a notification from the application. Users can update the application by clicking the “Update” button. 2)
- – Allows you to change both the content and the layout and graphics of the application. It is a real republication in the Stores, users will see a notification in their App Store app and Google Play app and will be able to download a new version of the application. Cost: Depending on your subscription type you will pay updates and republishes as follows:
1) ONE TIME FEE
- When an application is published under the ONE OFF FEE option the cost of the first publication depends on the number of items (I.e. places, events, stories), the number of languages and the number of platforms the application should be distributed to. According to the “pay per item” logic, the cost of an update or a republish is given by a fixed fee plus the difference between the cost of the first publication of the application and the cost of the app updated. Being: C(0) the cost of the first publication C(1) the total cost of the new updated app (possibly with new items and languages) The cost of update and republish will be: Update Cost = €5 + C(1) – C(0) Republish Cost = €50 + C(1) – C(0) in case C(1)<=C(0) (i.e. no new items or languages added, only editing or deleting of existing items) Update Cost = €5 Republish Cost = €50
2) SMALL APP PLAN
- If you published your app by selecting the monthly plan “Small App Plan” (Applications up to 150 items and 2 languages), you can update your application for free, while the reissues will have a fixed cost of €50. In the event that due to an upgrade or a republication your application exceeds 150 items (or 2 languages) you will be prompted to switch to the “Big App Plan”.
3) BIG APP PLAN
- If you published your app by selecting the monthly plan called “Big App Plan” the first 3 updates and republishings are free.
1) UPDATE – The addition/modification/deletion of content. The availability of an update is announced to the users through a notification from the application. Users can update the application by clicking the “Update” button. 2) REBPUBLISH – Allows you to change both the content and the layout and graphics of the application. It is a real republication in the Stores, users will see a notification in the App Store and Google Play and will be able to download a new version of the application.
The difference between the first and second title is very simple, the first title, which we define as “Long title” is what will appear in the Store. That one can be a bit more complex. The second title needs to be shorter and less complex.